STELLA

SOFIA
CHRISTY
Mrs.McCARTHY
Mr.McCARTHY
Dr.JAMES

ACT 1

SCENE 1 [At home]

NARRATOR: This story starts in Illinois at 12:51p.m. Stacey is requesting her mom to buy her a new dress for a birthday party.

STACEY: (PLEADING) But mom I-

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Firmly) Stacey, please don’t argue anymore. Concentrate on your studies more than these stuff.
(Stacey moved to her room, stamping in rage)

[ENTER Mr.McCARTHY]

Mrs.McCARTHY: Dear, I am terribly fed up with Stacey. She is more into accessories than studies. Even though she is at the top of her class, she should study.

Mr.McCARTHY: (Exhausted) Don’t act preposterous Veronique. You are acting as if she never studies. Why would she be at the top of her class if she isn’t studying? Well, I bet a million that you adored those things when you were small. Fine go call and tell her I am home. (He sits down on the couch)

(Mrs.McCarthy goes to Stacey’s room and peeps in)

Mr.McCARTHY: (Unmercifully) Stacey, dad is here and he wants to talk to you. (Stacey’s face glows up as a fully lit candle)

STACEY: Dad!

Mr.McCARTHY: Stacey! What do you want dear? I will get you anything you want.

STACEY: Dad its Sofia’s birthday and I need a dress. I have some only and they all look old and torn. Oh! Yah! Dad, Caroline is coming along with me so we need one for her too.

NARRATOR: Caroline is Stacey’s elder sister. She is 9 years old and 1 year older than Stacey.

Mr.McCARTHY: Sure, let’s go now so we come back before the party time. It’s a long way to their house. Ok go and get ready fast.

STACEY: Yah! (She goes and gets ready)

[STACEY AND Mr.McCARTHY]

[ENTER CAROLINE AND ALFRED]

CAROLINE: Mom I am starving and I want something to eat.

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Ignoring Caroline) Alfred, my boy, mama has got you a pizza.

CAROLINE: (Astonished) Mom, I was the one hungry not him.

Mrs.McCARTHY: Caroline, you are a girl and you have to be careful about your figure. It looks like you are growing fat nowadays.
(Alfred smirks and goes into the kitchen for getting his pizza. In seconds a delicious smell spreads the hallway)

ALFRED: (Looking at Caroline) Oh! Mom it’s sapid.

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Beaming) Enjoy my boy.

ALFRED: Mom where are dad and Stacey?

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Unrevealing the duty that they were on as they were not getting a dress for him) She wanted a geometry box so she went along with your dad.

ENTER STACEY AND Mr.McCARTHY

STACEY: (cheerfully) Caroline, Caroline I bought a dress for you and me for Sofia’s birthday party!

ALFRED: (Curiously) Where is your new geometry box?

STACEY: Which geometry box?

ALFRED: Mom, you lied to me? How could you?

Mrs.McCARTHY: No darling, I didn’t want to tell you that they were not buying a dress for you.

STACEY: Alfred, I thought you refused to come to the party so I did not get you a dress.

ALFRED: But you could have bought something at least for me. You sucker I hate you.

Mr.McCARTHY: (angrily) Alfred as far as I know I think you have everything you need provided. Have a look at the girls dresses, all of them are torn and look old. Your mom just fusses around you and buys you everything you want and wastes money. (He glares at their mom)

STACEY: Caroline, come on let’s go and get ready for the party. O what fun it’s going to be. (They go inside the room and get ready. They come out)

Mr.McCARTHY: You are looking gorgeous.

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Untruthfully) Devils!

CAROLINE: Dad, it’s a long way to Sofia’s house, let’s go.

EXIT Mr.McCARTHY, STACEY AND CAROLINE.

SCENE 2 [SOFIA’S HOUSE]

NARRATOR: Stacey and Caroline are in the birthday party. They are enjoying themselves a lot. Caroline’s friends: Stella and Christy are also here.

SOFIA: Guys, who vote for something appetizing cake. (everyone go inside and eat some cake, dance for few hours, and are ready to go.

STACEY: OMG! That was dazzling.

CAROLINE: Stacey, I think we have to leave. I see our car down there.

STACEY: Fine then, bye guys.

CAROLINE: Bye people.
(They both go down and get into their car)

Mr.McCARTHY: So, was it fun my angels?

STACEY AND CAROLINE: (In unison) you bet!

SCENE 3 [BACK AT HOME]

NARRATOR: The children are back home. They refused for dinner and now are in their room.

STACEY: (Lying down) Wasn’t it fun?

CAROLINE: (Sleepily) Mmmm……

STACEY: We have only ten more holidays left. Then we have to go back to school work and other stuff. Are you happy about this? (She waits for an answer, she turns back just in time to see Caroline fast asleep. She smiles and goes to sleep)

NARRATOR: This was their life when they were small. Let’s have a look at their lives 10 years later.

NARRATOR:10 YEARS LATER...

SCENE 4 [A JOURNEY FROM ILLINOIS TO IDAHO]

NARRATOR: The children are in a car. They are going to Idaho in search of a better college, as the one they were studying in was shutting down.

CAROLINE: (curiously) Stacey, what’s your ambition?

STACEY: Mine is to become a scientist.
(Alfred laughs loudly)

ALFRED: (Sarcastically) You and a scientist. Wow the best joke ever.

CAROLINE: (Angrily) Alfred, what’s yours.

ALFRED: (Confidently) A doctor.

CAROLINE: Do you know what it needs to become one? Patience, which you don’t have at all. You shouldn’t lose your confidence, which you always do.

Mrs.McCARTHY: Caroline, why pick the bad only?

Mr.McCARTHY: (Trying to change the topic) Guys, who is starving, I am.( He stops near a restaurant)
(Meanwhile, Mrs.McCarthy get’s down and suddenly falls unconscious)

STACEY: (Shocked) Mom!

CAROLINE: (Almost in tears) Mom!

Mr.McCARTHY: (Appalled) Dear, what happened?

ALFRED: Mom, why always the wrong time?
(Everyone stare at him)

ALFRED: What?

EVERYONE: Shut up!

ALFRED: Well, I am going to faint if I don’t eat. I am starving.

CAROLINE: (Feeling ashamed to have such a brother) Mother is much better than a brother who doesn’t respect his sisters. You want to become a doctor, is this how you will look after you patients?
(Alfred goes into the restaurant while everyone else goes to the hospital carrying Mrs.McCarthy.)

SCENE 5 [IN THE HOSPITAL]

NARRATOR: They are in a hospital now. Mrs.McCarthy is in the room. Dr.James is nursing her.

ENTER Dr.JAMES

Dr.JAMES: (Reassuringly) she is absolutely fine. She just got dehydrated. Make her drink gallons of water (He laughs). She wants to see Alfred please.

CAROLINE: Yes, thank you doctor. (She goes in)

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Gasping) Caroline, where’s Alfred?

CAROLINE: Aaaa mom. Alfred is eating at a restaurant. Do you still want to talk to him?

Mrs.McCARTHY: (Distressed) I didn’t expect this from him. Can I have anything to drink?

CAROLINE: Yes mom, I made some fresh orange juice for you.
(Mrs.McCarthy looks into Caroline’s eyes and a tear falls of her eyes.)

CAROLINE: Mom, why are you crying?

Mrs.McCARTHY: Caroline, go call Stacey.
(Caroline goes out and gets Stacey with her)

Mrs.McCARTHY: Caroline and Stacey. I called you to promise you that I will never ever do discrimination with not only you but anyone else.

STACEY: Oh! Mom. I love you
(Just then Alfred and his dad come in)

CAROLINE: Oh Alfred, you know what happened?
(Alfred looks happy and gives everyone a big hug, but when he comes to his mom he is asked a question by her).

Mrs.McCARTHY: Alfred, not loving mama anymore?

ALFRED: No doing it again mama. (He hugs her)