Loading color scheme

A Tiger for Malgudi

Title: A Tiger for Malgudi
Author: R. K. Narayan
Reviewed by: Shreyas Sarangi

This summer, I was able to read many new books, and A Tiger for Malgudi was one of them. It is an amazing tale about a wild tiger living in Sempi Hills who finds his way to the sleepy town, Malgudi. There he is captured and made to perform in the circus, after which he is made to act in a movie. Though the tiger, named Raja, escapes, he is cornered in a school. Then, he meets an old swami, who tames him and teaches him to follow the spiritual path that he takes. Soon, Raja can think, analyze and do everything a human can do except speak. Eventually, Raja is overtaken by old age and stays in a zoo for the rest of his life.

It is another tale by Narayan that could only be written by him, with every character explained in detail. The path the story takes is a roller coaster, with some unimaginable events taking place, like tigers drinking milk with goats.

This book is a fiction because a tiger can’t be forced to not eat a goat, sit like a human, or drink milk.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had a very amusing plot, and, like many other Malgudi books, had very serious events wrapped in humour. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, as I’m sure anyone
who can understand the book’s language can enjoy it. A Tiger for Malgudi is a must-read for anyone on the hunt for good books!