Loading color scheme

Which government structure best suits our country, unitary or federal?
By-Soumya - Grade-8A

Author Details

I like books(especially the smell), music, food, chocolates, humour, having fun with my friends and getting the on-top-of-the-world feeling.

Hobbies-Listening to music, dancing, reading and drawing.

I think our country, India, has a perfect system of government as it fulfils our needs, extensively. Unitary and Federal, both, are needed because each of them have their own importance in our government structure.

Why do we require a federal system?

First of all, a federal system is a system which consists of dual powers which means equal powers are given to both the state and central levels. As we are a populated country, we need this system to cater our ever-growing population. Also, division of powers (by lists) and a bicameral legislature (two houses) makes it easier to oblige the population. The federal system also has an independent judiciary which means that it isn’t affected by any of the other two branches.

Why do we require a unitary system?

A unitary system of the government is when the central government is the only government present in the country and has all the powers. If we follow both of the systems, unitary and federal, it would mean that there would be state governments but the central would have the supreme powers. This would reduce the unnecessary chaos and fights between the state governments as they have a head over them. Unitary also provides single citizenship (one passport) which is easier for the citizens to follow and wouldn’t cause a confusion.

Both of these and the listed evidences are needed for our country therefore both of these suit it very well. It is truly said that we are federal by nature and unitary by spirit as federal defines our structure and unitary our characteristics. The right form of government for us is QUASI FEDERAL (half- federal) which is the one we are following right now.