Loading color scheme

Will A New Policy Save Delhi?

Author Introduction:

My name is Akshaj Tammewar and I am a student of grade 9A. I love to read all kinds of books, write, and listen to music. I love football and tennis too.

November has been seeing a long debate where Arvind Kejriwal hopes to enforce a new, pertinent policy involving odd and even numbered license plates of vehicles allowed to be driven on different days. I strongly disapprove of this policy as there are several flaws associated with it despite the good intentions behind it.

To begin with, Delhi's current public transport is barely able to support the current demand so when this policy is in use the demand will definitely increase and

there is no possible way the public transport department can cope up with the extensive demand. This would result in approximately 1.2 million vehicles not in use and approximately 2 million people using public transport on top of the current people already using public transport and this is just a recipe for disaster.

Furthermore, Delhi is one of the largest and busiest cities in the world. On top of this, with the current corruption, not every car in Delhi can be monitored as people will obviously be motivated to drive their vehicles on days they are not supposed to while bribing cops to let them go if they are ever caught. Despite fact that everyone won't do so, there will still be those willing to go against the law and would only accelerate the devastating problem of pollution.

Although there are problems with this policy, this policy was brought up with good intentions to protect the vulnerable environment and will reduce pollution produced by vehicles on the road by nearly 40%.

Secondly, reducing the vehicles on the road by almost half will reduce the already treacherous traffic to something that will save time and therefore increase productivity in Delhi. This productivity will develop the city and just make it a better, healthier city.

Some may say that traffic and pollution will reduce; however, Delhi is home to people who can afford to buy two vehicles and drive one corresponding to their license plate a day and will just result in more pollution. Although this is less polluting than if everyone was driving, this won't help the problem of pollution that has already reached deadly levels.

To sum up, this new policy will most definitely have a prominent impact on the city for the good but, with the type of people who go against the law, corruption, unreliable transport, and high pollution levels, the impact may not be significant enough to solve the problem. The question that arises though is whether it has been too late.