Loading color scheme

The Mysterious Chimney
by Shreya Challa 5A

Bethy dropped a green liquid into the large flask. It gave a tiny pop and dissolved. Bethy was in the science lab at home. Her favorite subject was Science. “I’ll investigate for the liquid’s properties later,” she told herself as she brushed her straight black hair off her forehead. Pulling off her gloves, she

walked towards the black door. A sizzling, bursting noise came from the liquid, but Bethy didn’t notice…..

The next day, Bethy came humming into the room. She crept down. Looking at the potion, she gasped. There was some spilt on the table! “It’s dangerous! It can’t be spilt! I’ve got to keep this potion somewhere else!”Bethy cried. She grabbed the flask, and the liquid splashed and flew out of the flask. Bethy gave a cry as the potion landed on her clothes. She tried to take it off, but it wouldn’t move. It stayed, getting larger and larger, until it completely swallowed her.

“Lanara!” a voice rang in Bethy’s ear. Bethy groaned and sat up. She opened her eyes and blinked. There was an auburn-haired girl crouching next to her. “You’re back! I can’t believe it! You’ve been gone for SO long!”The girl exclaimed. “You remember me, right? I’m Amala, your best friend!” Bethy stood up. “My best friend? My best friend is-”she started. For the first time, she noticed where she was. “Where are we?!”She cried. “My cottage, don’t you recall?” the girl, Amala, smiled. “But I’ve never been here! All I did was pour the potion on myself-” Bethy protested. “That’s it! That potion was magical!” Amala batted an eyelid. “You need rest. Stay the night over here. Your parents are to fetch you in the morning,” she gently said. She grabbed Bethy’s hand and dragged her to a bed. “Stay here,” Amala rushed out of the room and closed the door. The moment she was gone, Bethy announced, “I’m NOT Lanara! I’ve got to get out of here!” She looked around. Something to get out of, something……

“Aha!”Bethy grinned. A chimney with a ladder! “I don’t think this thing’s been used for years!” she cried as she grabbed a rung and hauled herself up. Rung by rung, she pulled herself higher. Then she collapsed and crouched on a very dirty rung. “There’s no ending to this!” she wheezed. She was closing her eyes sleepily when she noticed a rusty gold lock with a key holder next to it. Dangling from it was a tarnished key. Slowly, she put it in the lock and carefully turned it. A tiny door sprung open. Bethy yelped in delight, and, balancing herself, she sneaked in the palace. After a few minutes of crawling, Bethy found herself in a dark room. “What IS this place?” she wondered. She walked further inside.

Suddenly a person jumped out. Bethy gave a scream and ran towards the door. “No-don’t leave me!” the person cried. Bethy stopped. “Who are you?” she demanded. “I’m Lanara!” the voice answered. “I’m Bethy. Hey, aren’t you that girl who Amala was searching for?” Bethy realized. “Yes, yes! You see, a few days ago, I found this door. But I left the key outside, so I couldn’t get out!” Lanara explained. She stepped out into the light.

Lanara looked exactly like Bethy, except more ruffled and dirty. No wonder Amala thought that Bethy was Lanara. “Let’s get out of here!” Bethy told her. The two rushed to the little door. Suddenly, Bethy realized something. “I don’t have the key!!!”She cried.

There was silence and Lanara cried, “No!” “It must be here, we’ve got to look!” Bethy suggested. The two girls searched and searched. Suddenly Lanara lifted something triumphantly in the air. The key! Victoriously, Lanara unlocked the door.

“Go on,” Bethy nudged Lanara. “You-you’re not coming?” Lanara asked. “Yes. Go on,” Bethy smiled. Shooting a grin at her, Lanara climbed down the ladder. As soon as she was gone, Bethy took out the flask from her pocket. There was a little bit left. She poured some on her hand. In a ‘poof’ she was gone.

The next moment, Bethy found herself at home. “Bethy! Lunch is ready!” her Mom called from the kitchen. Bethy smiled as she walked out of the room.