Loading color scheme

Forestal Fires
by Rishita Chourey 7A

And I was just getting ready for a good night’s slumber. “Goodnight Ma, Goodnight Pa” I spoke, in a fatigued voice. Ma turned the lights off. I was amid darkness. I didn’t really like the dark as much, and so, huddled up with Louie; my teddy. As I shut my eyes, I felt, as though, I was being transformed into a fantasy land. I was taken aback, when I caught glimpse of the mesmerizing sights that awaited me...

The plants were swaying in synchronization, as the breeze swept them from one side to another. They seemed to be communicating along with the trees, who also, appeared to be uniting in the fun and joy. It was an over-whelming sight! On account of my inquisitiveness, I strode further through the forests to explore.

In spite of the previous wonders I’d come across, I saw a devastating sight. It was grievous and heart-rending to see. Animals of the forest crippled for food and shelter, as a pauper would do. This was due to the impulsive way; the world’s population had approached the environment. By observing the sight, I could guarantee that in the future generations, hell would certainly be created amidst the civilizations of Earth!

As I continued my journey, strong rays fell towards me, but I managed to duck away. This was followed by a distant jingling sound. I peeped through a narrow branch of a tree, squinting, I was able to see a vague image of something beige in colour. An intimation was detected by my senses, and I moved further. And there, glistening in the mid-summer’s sun was the ‘FORESTAL GEM.’ It appeared vivid in sight. It seemed to be familiar..... Suddenly, it hammered upon me- I’d learned about it at school!

Awestruck at the sight, I raced towards the gem. Halfway, I was kindly greeted by a hoard of Pelicans and Toucans. They began flapping their wings, in an unwieldy manner. Vehemently, they started squawking. It was as if they were attempting to prompt me, or warn me, of some sort. I ignored them, and continued my jaunt.

I reached. This was it – the golden opportunity of my life. As I heaved to pick it up, several ear-splitting noises were to be heard. Nonetheless, I remained to latch on. Finally I managed to seize it, and began to run. I intended on showing this to Ma and Pa. Unexpectedly, the forest began to rumble. I could perceive smoke. Animals of the forest began to run, pretty expeditiously! They were trampling each other, aswell as the forestal plants too.

Then I realized. The forest was on fire. I knew I had to escape. Half terrorized with fear, I fled as fast as my puny legs would carry me, but the fire was catching up close! In the course of running, I came in the way of a grotto. It was the only hope of survival that I had and accordingly, I entered it. A big boulder came in the way of the enthralling fire, I was saved- but trapped!

It was pitch black inside the grotto, I was absolutely exhausted. I decided to rest for a while. I sat down, in despair, and fell into a deep sleep. Zzzzzz.... When I regained consciousness, I was surrounded by a pink light. It made me feel comfortable. A purple light fluttered within the darkness. It came towards me; I rapidly shut my eyelids for protection. When I reopened my eyes, a fairy was delicately flapping her wings and leaving a silvery trail behind her. She opened her mouth, and ever-so-gently, pressed her lips together and began to converse “Greetings young girl, what brings you here?” I respited, and then I proceeded “I’m Parker, Tiffany Parker. I saw a gem, and after I picked it up, the forest caught fire. So, to be out of peril’s way, I sought shelter here. Please do not harm me” I beseeched.

“Beloved Tiffany, the forestal gem was the only treasure that the forest has to hold dear. All its remaining treasures have been indiscriminately exploited for commercial uses. Furthermore, forestal lands are being utilized for constructing buildings and malls. Animals’ shelters are being eradicated and they now remain in danger. Humans are on verge of extirpating our planet to utmost shatters! Because you, a human laid hands on it, the forest alerted itself by the fire.” I listened, earnestly, to every single bit of detail that entered my ear. I felt sick at heart after finding this out. “I’m apologetic for all that has come about. I pledge to spread awareness, regarding the matter, across the world. Not only that but, soon all the forests will retrieve their treasures- and that’s Tiffany Parkers’ promise.” With a nod of approval, I assured her. The fairy’s gloomy frown turned into a contented smile. She beamed at me, and with the flicker of her violet wand, disappeared into the blackness.

I found myself lying within the equidistant flowers in Ma’s flowerbed. I wondered, was it really a dream, or had all that really happened? I dragged myself towards the porch... The heavenly aroma of steak pie filled my nostrils. I was particular about that....

Well, that was the end of my journey, and I did manage to keep up to my promise. I’d administered the matter with great significance and subsequently ended up with affirmative responses.

As the world’s population continues to flourish!