Loading color scheme

The Land of Fotan
by Valli 7A

I woke up with the sun hitting my face. I just remembered that today was Monday, first day of a new school. We had just moved to Redmond, which was in Devon, England. Today was my first day at Clapbridge School. I was used to moving places of course, with my parents’ jobs spinning us all over the place.

I got up started getting ready for school. “Alex!” mum called from downstairs, “Hurry up! You’ll be late for school!”. I came downstairs, ready to be greeted by the lovely aroma of breakfast. But to my surprise, the kitchen counter was completely bare. “Sorry, Alex, but you’ll have to grab something on the way to school, dad and I haven’t got round to unpacking the kitchen utensils box yet.” She said to me apologetically. “I think I saw a pancake shop somewhere around here, you could try that.” Dad said, returning from his jog.

I started walking to school. Mum suggested dropping me, but I said I could manage. It was still early morning, so no one was about and it was just me. I ambled along, passing all the rosebushes oak trees that lined the sides of the small path. It was a long way to town, as we lived on a hill that was just barely apart of Redmond. Just need to walk through a small forest, down a few lanes, and I’d be there.

I started walking through the forest, and felt a tingling sensation in me. I looked around and gasped. All around me, where the most fascinating plants and trees. Blue hibiscus flowers, flowers looking like the inside of a pomegranate, and trees with black and red leaves.

A small buzzing came by. I look down at the dark brown floor and saw a small, mini version of a turtle nibbling on a red leaf. It looked around and saw me, and then scurried away. I took a step into the forest and started to smell a delightful mix of cinnamon and vanilla.

The further I walked the more unbelievable things I discovered. Where was I? How did I end up here? How did I end up here? How was I going to get out of this parallel, magical universe? Just then a small monkey jumped down the tree, and started to wander away. “Hey! Hey! Hey!” I shouted to stop it. It turned around startled. “Who are you?” it asked. I astonished. Did the monkey just talk to me?

“I’m Alex. Where am I? How do I get out of here?” I replied to it. The monkey sadly smiled. “Ahh, you’re a human. I have seen many of your kind. Once a human enters Fotan, there is no way out for them.” It told me. “No way?” I exclaimed, “No way at all?” The monkey paused for a moment. “Well…There is one way, go to the blue beach. It is not far from here. Go there, and sip the ocean water. You’ll be transported back to where you came from. Hurry.” It said, before scampering off.

I could see the ocean from here. I began to run. I could nearly see the beach. I finally arrived. The sand was endless. Just as I started running and almost touched the water, but some force pulled me back and hit me against the rocks. After about fifty tries, I was bruised, scarred, and exhausted.

One last try, my head was telling. One more, you can do it. I started running. This time unlike all the other times, I grabbed a fistful of water and shoved it in my mouth.

I felt that strange tingling sensation again. Before I knew it, I was home.

The End