Loading color scheme

The Mystery of the Stolen Money By Laasya, Grade 4B

In a house at Rose County, Smithara and Neena stood confused, looking at a door that was locked, and had a wall on the other side.

Smithara was an eleven-year old with long and shiny black hair. Her eyes were a startling blue and she was thin and tall. Neena, on the other hand, was thirteen and Smithara’s sister. She looked exactly the same, except for her hair which was short.

They were smart girls and could spot the tiniest things, like a man entering into a house that had been emptied. Both of them saw that an hour ago. Lily Gevol, a millionaire, had been robbed, on the news. They always wanted to be detectives and seeing this man entering the empty house made them curious. They followed him only to see him disappear through a door and lock it. All this was very unusual, but the most unusual part was that the door, which he went through, had a wall on the other side.

“Any idea on how to open the door?” questioned Neena.

Smithara replied, “Well, we can if we have a pin.”

The next moment, they ran into the house and searched everywhere for a pin.

“Aah, I found one,” announced Smithara, proudly.

Smithara inserted the pin into the keyhole and after three loud clicks, the door flew open. It was dark and eerie inside and there was a steep slope that lead to the underground.

“Oh my goodness!” mumbled Smithara, her mouth slightly open.

“Flashlights!” Neena bellowed.

Smithara scampered off and returned holding two torches. She gave Neena one and they both switched them on and made their way down the steep slope casting frightening looks at each other.

After a while, they came into an opening with two narrow passages. Before they could decide which way to go, a voice grunted, “You still have to give me more money.”

“I gave you enough money for the loot,” said another drawling voice.

The first man growled in agony, “Fine,” and two men appeared.

They were short and stout, with curly brown hair and the man with the grumpy voice was the one who Neena and Smithara followed. They went away just as quickly as they had come.

Neena got up and beckoned Smithara forward. Neena made a circle around the boxes and gasped.

“Smithara, look!”

Smithara came to the spot where her sister was standing and saw that on the bottom box, a label with the name ‘Lily Gevol’ was written in an untidy scrawl.

Smithara’s eyes widened and she looked at the box on the top, which too had a label, but it read, ‘August Frank’ and was wide open and empty.

“Does that mean they are going to rob August Frank next?” asked Smithara.

Neena nodded and pointed her finger at another door and said, “They are in there. But, you want to see what they are up to!”

They both headed for the door, making sure they didn’t make a sound.

Smithara pressed her eye to the tiny space in the keyhole and narrated the scene to Neena.

“They are walking in circles. No! They are coming right towards us! Run!” yelped Smithara, but it was too late.

As Smithara and Neena ran, they could hear the footsteps and angry screams of the men which told them that they were being chased.

They ran till they reached the door connecting to Rose County. Smithara and Neena went through and locked the door with the pin, panting heavily.

The moment they went it, Neena dialled the cops and said, “Sir, my name is Neena Lavati Jivela and my sister, Smithara Dase Jivela…” She told them all that they had seen.

After telling the cops, Neena felt relieved. Even though she could hear the men screaming from the other side of the door, she felt tranquil for the first time in an hour.